Cultural and historical monuments
The church dates back to 1480. It is considered a monument and symbol of mining industry in Dobšiná and its surroundings. It was repaired and rebuilt for several times and, thus, originally Gothic church took form of a Neo-Gothic temple. The interior holds remarkable mediaeval frescos. A fresco on the triumphal arch depicts Hildegard von Bingen – a significant German saint, doctor, nun and mystic. It is a one of a kind example of fresco portrayal of the saint in Slovakia. The sacristy holds a memorial tablet with German and Latin descriptions of the Turkish invasion. The mining tradition of the town is recalled by two paintings and a collection of minerals from Dobšiná’s mines, displayed on the altar.
St. Francis Xavier Roman Catholic Church
The church was built in 1792 in Baroque-Classical style on the site of an older chapel, dated 1746. The single-nave church comprises segmented chancel with added sacristy on its north side and front tower on the eastern face. A cross with cast iron statue of Christ by Ján Fadrusz dedicated to the memory of Anton Szuszai is also a notable artefact.
Built 1870 in Neo-Renaissance style. This two-storey building features spacious interior illuminated through a glass roof and a cast iron staircase supported by pillars. Original ornamental frescos are preserved on some parts of the walls, other parts are decorated by a number of historic paintings. The most interesting is the painting of Glass Maiden from Maróna Mountain. The building nowadays serves as the seat of municipal office.
The Classical building from the 19th century is a valuable evidence of the evolution of architecture.
Former Girls’ School
Founded in 1875, the former girls’ school was built at the location of older Evangelical Grammar School, which was attended by several distinguished persons, e.g., Pavol Jozef Šafárik, Pavol Dobšinský, Karol Kuzmány, Juraj Palkovič and others.
Burgher’s House, 118 Zimná St.
This drive-through house was probably built as early as in the 16th century. That is proven by its basement and its location in the vicinity of the Evangelical Church.
Burgher’s House, 125 Zimná St.
This is a protected burger’s house located in a built-up area in 125 Zimná Street. An originally stone and wood house stood here in the 16th century.
This memorial villa surrounded by a garden was built in the 19th century in Neo-Renaissance style. It is directly connected with renowned mining engineer Eugena Ruffínyi who discovered the Dobšinská Ice Cave.
The house represents a protected example of local folk architecture – a household of German family – located in 64 Turecká Street. This house was built of wood and brick in the 19th century and holds two rooms and an entrance on the side.
The first galleries were cut from the Steinseifen valley in 1851. Listed among national cultural and technical monuments, the total length of the drift is 1 872 m. After the operation ceased in 1970, the entry was blocked by quarry stone.
Remnants of Old Blast Furnaces
Located in Vyšný Hámor, on western bounds of the town.